Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Fish Head Curry that started it all...

This picture is how it all started.

One fine Sunday at about 7pm, Lou posted on his facebook that he is craving for Chinese style fish head curry. He had me at the word "curry".
So he picked me up, then Jer, and we went on a fish head curry hunt.

Well... I had several suggestions :
1) Gu Ma Jia who serves a mean assam fish head & roast duck.
(Lou insisted on only curry fish head, not assam fish head, so this was scraped.)

2) Ocean Curry Fish Head at Telok Ayer.
(They are not open on Sundays. Full stop.)

3) 136 Hong Kong Street Fish Head Steamboat Resaurant.
(We drove there but couldn't find it so we headed off to the next location)

4) Sum Kee Food Restaurant at Telok Blangah.
(Bingo!!!!)

Jer was the navigator and Lou, the driver.
As for me, I had the all important task of telling them where and what's the name of the restaurant.
You see... I only eat. 
Meaning that once that plate of tantalising, mouth-watering dish is served, I totally forget how I got there, how to go and where the place is near. :p

All I could provide for my dearest navigator, Jer is the name of the restaurant and where it's located approximately. Plus alot of description on the lovely food served. Hiak hiak hiak...

Anyway... to cut the story short.
WE HAVE REACHED OUR DESTINATION.

SUM KEE FOOD.

The fish head curry that spelled "cholesterol"

We ordered the fish head curry, "Ultraman Chicken" which is fried chicken pieces tossed in salted egg yolk, and sambal kangkong.
When the fish head arrived, Lou tasted it and exclaimed, "就是它了。就是這個味道!"
I took a sip of the curry and my eyes lit up.
It's cheesy... but I imagined I was swimming in an ocean of curry. Floating around me were taupok, brinjal, lady fingers and of course... fish head.
The curry was so tasty and so packed of flavours that it spelled CHOLESTEROL.
Every sip was full of coconut milk. 
We thought we wouldn't be able to finish the pot but oh boy we were wrong... please refer to the pic right at the top of this post. Hahaha!!! 
The nostalgic settings of the restaurant (complete with some 'live' fish staring at me from the tank right smack beside me) plus the power-packed curry reminded us of the 90's.
Away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

The "kjt ho jiak" sambal kangkong

Again, Lou was the first to bite into the sambal kangkong.
It looks like any other sambal kangkong... but phoarrrrrrrrrrr.......!!!!!
Lou almost spew vulgarities when he took a bite of those harmless looking vegatation.
It was THAT GOOD...!
The "wok hei" was "gau lat" and the sambal used to fry the kangkong had bits of dried shrimps and other "secret" ingredients in it.
The slightly burnt taste brought out the full flavours of the sambal... encapsulating every strand of kangkong.
My imagination led me to imagine a perspiring fat chef frying it in a very hot wok and tossing it over huge flames. And making the kiang kiang kiang sound in the process. Kekeke... 
吃了會流眼淚的 sambal kangkong it is.

Ultraman Chicken

The Ultraman Chicken was good... but sitting alongside the magnificent fish head curry and the "kjt ho jiak" sambal kangkong, it didn't deserve the attention (or the lack of it) from us.
But it really was good. If it was served in another restaurant, I'm sure we would slurp it up in 5 mins.

Here are details of the restaurant :


Sum Kee Food
No.2, Telok Blangah St 31
Yeo's Building
Singapore 108942
Tel 1: 6737 3233
Tel 2: 6333 8556
Open Daily 11am to 11pm
Website : http://www.sumkee.com.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment